Watch this video about what should NOT be in your skincare. If you can’t watch the video, just skip down and check out the description below:
What are microbeads? Microbeads are actually tiny pieces of plastic put in cleansers used to scrub your skin as an exfoilant. If you’ve been reading this blog (you’re awesome) you can probably guess that smashing plastic around your face and then washing it into the environment is an all around
bad HORRIBLE idea. It’s so bad they’re polluting the Great Lakes and New York is trying to pass some legislative action.to stop it.
Exfoliating is a step you never want to skip so it’s definitely important that you use the right product.
The video goes on to include other scrubs that of course don’t meet green standards, so here’s YOUR list. Welcome:
- May Lindstrom’s The Clean Dirt ($60): An energizing blend of cleansing clays, warming spices and healing salts lifts impurities while a surge of H20-activated Vitamin C encourages cellular rejuvenation and increased blood flow. This cult favorite is amazing and you get a TON of product so you can really create a daily routine with it.
- Pratima Very Sensitive Herbal Cleanser ($29): Our Very Sensitive Herbal formula uses the softest herbal blend to meet the needs of the most delicate complexions, even rosacea-prone skin. This pure and gentle cleanser includes organic Milk Powder, Neem and Sandalwood to effectively nourish, calm, soothe and balance. Pratima has about 983 cleansers, so you can really find the one that best fits your skin type.
- Hana Organic Skincare Lavender Grains ($36): This very effective cleanser and exfoliator is mild, nourishing and suitable for all skin types. The white clay is overflowing with skin-loving minerals as it removes toxins and excess sebum. The oats and flowers calm and soothe while the almonds leave your skin feeling smooth and bright. This product is all about the ritual. It’s a great product to relax with the smell of lavender, using the ceramic scoop, and for an extra boost this makes an amazing mask.
- S.W. Basics Exfoliant ($28): S.W. Basics Exfoliant is pure kitchen-cabinet awesomeness. they take organic oats and almonds, grind them until they’re not too rough but not too soft, add mineral-rich sea salt harvested from coasts nearby, and voila: a simple, nourishing, super-effective exfoliant that leaves your skin soft and glowing. *s.w.basics also has sample sizes and introduces you to the person who makes your exfoliant. SO.COOL. granted they’re based in Brooklyn so I’m not surprised.
- Sellwood Soap Vetiver & Orange Face Scrub ($12): The vetiver & orange face scrub is expertly formulated to reveal soft, smooth skin. Fight acne and prevent blackheads naturally with this gentle sugar scrub. Rose hip seed oil deeply nourishes skin while sweet orange and rosemary essential oils support collagen regeneration and help skin repair itself. Not only is the price oh so right in this product, but this product is effective and smells so good you’re going to want to eat it (you could. don’t , but you could. suck it microbeads).
- Simple Sugars Facial Scrubs ($16.95): YINZERS LISTEN UP. LOCAL SKIN CARE!!! thats right, this amazing company is based right here in the Burgh and has amazing products. They have 4 scrubs and all are worth your time and money.
- DIY: YUP! went there. What’s amazing about green beauty is that you DON’T have to just purchase. You can create your own beauty care with your own hands. Already have a green cleanser that you love? add a small amount of basking soda and BOOM, exfoliant. One of my favorite things to do is to take my beloved Pai Cleanser and add some rhassoul clay, cinnamon, turmeric, and some almond meal I have in my pantry. If you don’t have those ingredients, get some amazingly pure, and amazingly sourced ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs and they’ll last MONTHS.
There are so many other great exfoliators out there so check out my Pinterest page where I collect this information for you! easy easy.
So go rehab your face scrub and I’ll see you later.