If you read my how did I get this nontox green beauty business going you’ll remember it all started with deodorant. Most deodorants either contained aluminum or irritating chemicals that effected my armpits on a daily basis.
There’s you’re daily TMI requirement for the day! Glad you got that over early. phew!
Continuing with the story…Every time I went in the natural direction (I’M LOOKING AT YOU TOM’S OF MAINE) If I sneezed I would start sweating and smelling.
Here’s why so many people still use non-green products. It’s because it HAS TO WORK, and for awhile many of these products did not work and it has to. It’s a constant balance that we often confront. I want to do what is right, but it has to work. Do any of these sound familiar?
- I want to eat local but the only local market is 20 miles away
- I want to buy clothing not made not made in factories, but everything that is, is expensive or ugly as hell
- I want to use non-toxic products, but the colors fade/they don’t work as well
I understand, and that’s what this blog is here to show. You can do this, and it’s easy, you just may not know it.
Anyways, back to my pits…
I started to do research on this issue and come across writing like this:
“Aluminum-based compounds are used as the active ingredient in antiperspirants. These compounds form a temporary plug within the sweat duct that stops the flow of sweat to the skin’s surface…”
“Some research suggests that aluminum-based compounds, which are applied frequently and left on the skin near the breast, may be absorbed by the skin and cause estrogen-like (hormonal) effects (3). Because estrogen has the ability to promote the growth of breast cancer cells, some scientists have suggested that the aluminum-based compounds in antiperspirants may contribute to the development of breast cancer (3)…”
“parabens, which are preservatives used in some deodorants and antiperspirants that have been shown to mimic the activity of estrogen in the body’s cells…”
“The belief that parabens build up in breast tissue was supported by a 2004 study, which found parabens in 18 of 20 samples of tissue from human breast tumors (5). However, this study did not prove that parabens cause breast tumors” (HERE)
A lot of the research kept pointing out relationships between these products that I was consistently, on a daily basis, putting on skin, that I shaved, near very important parts of my body, that was a constant irritation.
I thought this couldn’t be it – toxic ingredients or offend everyone around me within a 20 mile radius, and I was right. There are a lot of great options out there and I’ve put together a gallery with all of those options, and here’s the best part. They work!!
Here are a few things you need to know about natural deodorants:
- Most of these are made from whipped butters which means the frosting-like consistency allows for easy manual application and rapid absorption, and is ideal for all skin types. However, YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR FINGERS. Only a few of these come in non-pot forms and there’s a reason – wax (for those vegan beauties it’s usually beeswax, sorry). Get used to touching your pits people, they are a part of your body and they are wonderful even if they smell sometimes. Love your body, even your pits.
- None of these are truly antiperspirants. Again, there’s a reason. Antiperspirants work by shrinking sweat glands, others work by clogging, or shrinking the pores in your underarms. Many studies have shown that the compounds in these antiperspirants are not healthy, not allowing sweat glands to release necessary toxins. That is INSANE. Just Sweat. It is one of about 2 things your body (inefficiently) does to release heat to keep your body temperature stable. Instead of being like “ew gross” be like “I’m a mother f*cking baller”, yes even in the conference room.
- While non of these products are toxic they can still be irritating. Many of the products offer trial sizes which are great for testing out and sticking in your purse/murse for touch ups later. But let your body get used to the new product, relearn how to behave like normal pits (little rapscallions), and find which product works for you. We’re usually tolerant of this with toxic products, but not non-toxic ones. Stop your double standards, jerks.
What do I use? Right now I’m loving my Meow Meow Tweet trials. First, they are based out of Brooklyn which should explain the name, and secondly, they’re awesome and super-super soft. I have put my deodorant on A LOT of peoples hands just to prove my point. Will I re-buy?? Probably in the future, but there’s a lot out there that I still want to try! SCHMIDTS I’M LOOKING AT YOU HOMIE (don’t people still say homie?! no?! Guess I better take off my Slim Shady sweatshirt**).
Check out my pinterest page for more resources! It’s constantly being updated to include more great products than what I put here!
*As mentioned in the gallery under the Freshbod deodorant spray, Colloidal Silver has been a topic of conversation as a natural perservative in skin care products. Read the ingredients people and do your research. I trust this guy, he’s a derm who loves green skin care.
** I have never, nor will I ever own a Slim Shady sweatshirt thankyouverymuch.