Step 1, Get dangerous toxic chemicals away from your eye balls. CHECK!
Step 2, Stop ingesting toxic ingredients from your lips. Uh…..
Don’t worry, I got your back on this one too.
Whether you are a bold lipstick woman, or a subtle gloss or balm, chances are if you’re not using a green brand, you’re putting some really unhealthy things into your body.
It’s worth it though right?! To have gorgeous colored lips? Just like this lady:
Get Ready, I’m going to science you guys: “A 2005 study done with 360 participants between 19- and 65-years-old who were regular lipstick wearers measured the amount of lipstick they used a day. What they found is that if a woman wears lipstick daily from age 10* – 86 they will consume approximately 3.7 pounds, aheam POUNDS, of lipstick in their lifetime. toxic, toxic lipstick…
The FDA has conducted two follow-up studies, one in 2009 and one in 2012. Both studies found much more lead, up to 7.19 parts per million, in the lipstick samples tested. Here are the top 20 lead-containing lipsticks from the FDA’s 2012 review of 400 lipstick shades:”
Have I got your attention? Great! What are some of these ingredients? they can’t be that bad**? That’s cute:
- Cadmium – a carcinogen linked to breast cancer
- Lead – can lead to many health problems including seizures, miscarriages, as well as transference from woman of child bearing age to children, and pregnant women. There’s a lot of FANTASTIC literature out there about lead in lipstick, we’ll have to go really in depth soon
- BHA – a preservative and stabilizer that also causes endocrine disruption and organ toxicity
- Propylbarabens – a preservative that also endocrine disruption, developmental and reproductive toxicity, allergies and immunotoxicity
Shall I keep going? Yeah I don’t want to either, totally bumming me out.
There is good news though! There are some AMAZING companies putting out some fantastic products that are filled with fantastic ingredients like:
- Certified Organic seed oils
- Certified Organic seed butters
- Certififed Organic fruit oils
- With nary any artificial preservatives, parabens, parfum/fragrances, or petroleum in sight.
Amazing right?!?! Who are these angels from above who have created amazing products?! Let me tell you:
- Kjaer Weis
- RMS Beauty
- Revolution Organics
- Ilia Beauty
- Red Apple Lipstick
- Alima Pure
- Vapour Organic Beauty
- Studio 78 Paris
- Osmia Organics
- Jane Iredale
- I’m not even done yet people
- La Bella Donna
- W3ll People
- Couleur Caramel
- and many more. What you want to know is, you have options!
So Would you like me to tell you what I use???
DON’T MIND IF I DO!
- RMS Beauty Lip2Cheek in ‘Promise‘ : This is a great everyday color that comes in a beautiful frosted pot that is A warm salmon-pink with a very subtle golden shimmer.
- Ilia Beauty Lipstick in ‘Wild Child’: It’s a super fun red that borderlines on hot pink and is great for cool toned hotties.
- Ilia Beauty Tinted Lip Conditioner in ‘Arabian Knights’: This was is a great go-to fall berry color when I don’t want a lot of color. To get a really strong bright color you’d have to add a lot of layers of this product, so the lip conditioners are for the subtle hints. The pops of color are with lipsticks
- W3ll People Nudist Colorbalm stick 1: This is my go to neutral. I”m a huge fan of the brand, they’re the brain child of two awesome women (and awesome guy), all about warrior women, and made in America.
- Up Next?!: I recently made a fantastic purchase after seeing a Lisa Eldridge video and a post from Lilly at Genuine Glow blog and I’m heading for ORANGE-lip-town. You’ll probably see a picture of me wearing it on instagram…
Go out and get some fabulous lips and tell me what your favorites are!